Starting a blog can be intimidating, scary, and a little bit exciting. Depending on who you are and what kind of interests you have, blogging can be either fun or a hassle. For me, I fell into the latter category, but that has slowly changed through out the semester, and while I don’t yet fall into the category where I consider blogging to be fun, it has long since been a hassle. I no longer dread doing the weekly blog, and it has become easier each time. I will give new bloggers five tips for blogging, coming from a non-blogger that thought this semester would be torture.
1. Just do it. The worst part about blogging is dreading doing it. Knowing that Thursday is getting closer and closer means that I’m going to have to do the blog soon. Once I actually sat down and did it, it really wasn’t that bad. Just sit down, do the blog, and don’t do it Thursday morning or late Wednesday night and you won’t dread doing the blog any longer.
2. Blog about something you are interested in. Each week we receive blogging topics which serve as guidelines for what we must blog about for the week. But within these guidelines it is pretty easy to find something of interest to yourself. For example, one blog we had to critique a film critique, and we were able to pick a movie that we watched and enjoyed.
3. Try to have fun with it. Even if you don’t like it after a few weeks, find ways to make it more fun. Blog about something you don’t know about, so then you can spend some time learning something new.
4. Get rid of all expectations. You may expect blogging to be one way, and find it to be completely different. That is what happened to me. It really isn’t bad and can be fun but if you go into it with the expectation that it will suck, it will.
5. Remember that it is only for a semester. If it really is the worst thing ever, and you hate it, remember it is only for a few months, once a week, and you can get through it.